Poached Eggs on Yogurt "Bed"

March 24, 2017



I bet you completely forgot that at one point there were recipe posts on You've Got Kayl. Trust me, I almost did myself. I mean, the last one was almost a year ago.

Crazy.

I've come to realize what might be the case is that I'm not a recipe person. As much of a planner/Type A/perfectionist personality I have, I  enjoy experimenting when I'm making meals. I barely ever make a recipe twice so there's not "perfecting" a recipe for me really. I like to mix things up. Even when I'm out at restaurants, I am constantly ordering something different.




However, something that I could have on constant repeat are eggs especially at breakfast. If I had to pick my fave ways to enjoy them, it would be a tie between scrambled and poached. I would put omelettes up there on the list but most of my omelettes end up as scrambles in the end anyway. If you are still aren't convinced of the magic of eggs,  maybe this Bon Appetit article will do the trick.

And that’s the thing about eggs—if you ask enough questions, man, will you get a lot of answers.

The allure of eggs for me comes down to their versatility. I could easily go the Asian route with kimchi, Southwestern with beans, salsa and cheddar, Greek with feta, olives, artichokes and spinach. When thinking up a name for this dish, the only word I could come up with it was "bed," which actually describes the texture pretty well. Partially inspired by the deliciousness that is shakshuka, this "bed" of yogurt-y and egg-y goodness was born. Baking the yogurt in the oven for a bit gives it a different texture, almost melding together with the drippy eggs. It also looks resembles the mess of my own bed and sheet situation I've going on at the moment tbh.

But seriously, this was as simple as 1-2-3.



Ingredients:
Eggs, how many you're craving at the moment
Yogurt, eyeball it
Any greens, about a handful, chopped (I used beet greens)
Toppings, again of your choosing
What I used:
  • Feta cheese
  • Roasted beets
  • Pickled onions
Other scrumptious ideas:
  • Tomatoes
  • Avocado
  • Salsa
  • Sweet potato or regular potatoes
  • Spices like: za'atar, cayenne, sumac
  • Basically any cheese because cheese.
  1. Start a pot of water for the eggs. I have followed Alton Brown's method since I began poaching eggs for myself. Also preheat the oven to broil. 
  2. While waiting for the water to reach a simmer, saute greens in a bit of oil. Make sure to use a pan that can go in the oven. 
  3. Once greens reach desired wilt, take off heat and push them off to the sides of the pan, leaving room in the center to plop the yogurt.  
  4. This may be before or after Step 3 so just watch your own timing. Add the eggs into the water one at a time using the vortex method and let cook for about 3 minutes. Again, watch your timing and use your own tastes for poached eggs.  
  5. Gently lay freshly poached eggs onto the yogurt and greens mixture and immediately place into the oven for a few minutes on broil.
  6. Remove and top with your magical toppings. Serve with bread, crackers, potatoes, whatever your heart and tastebuds desire. 


Questions:
Do you like following recipes or do you freestyle it?

What's your favorite way to to eat eggs?
Do you make your bed every day? 



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Whoa this is so creative!! I'm so curious to see what happens to the yogurt. Does it just like get warm or does it harden somehow? Way to be creative girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks, Cora! I try 😅
      Yes, it becomes warm but not too hard. I don't quite know how to explain it! It's just dreamy.

      Delete