Must-Reads of the Week (19)

January 13, 2017


Hihi,

Hope you all are having a lovely week! I have finished Week 1 of my internship and I am pooped. My body and mind are not used to being out and about for 9 hours a day. How did I survive high school?!! Seriously though, TGIF!!!!! 🎉 🍻

There is a special aura of being downtown that just energizes me. Looking forward to exploring the city more and more over the next few months!


Up ahead for my weekend include The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime play, the second half of season 4 of Gilmore Girls, hopefully getting my yoga & meditation on, volunteering at the animal shelter and possibly some baking. Sadly, I do not get Monday off but on the bright side, traffic shouldn't be an issue!

If you are looking for some reading for your long weekend, here are some of the links that caught my attention this week:

1. For My Fellow Overthinkers - If you're feeling filled with worry or are forgetting to give yourself a break, another note to self from the wonderful Cupcakes and Cashmere. Remember to check yourself. Ask why it matters: How important is it in the grand scheme of things? Will it matter a year from now?

2. The Reality of Anxiety - Being anxious or at least admitting it is something relatively new to me. Mostly because I think the "image" of what anxiety looks like is so skewed, so lacking; I didn't really know what it meant. This quick TC read does a great job of illustrating what anxiety actually is. It spoke to my soul to say the least.

3. Some Bachelor Contestants Secrets - Anyone watching The Bachelor this season??? 🙋 The show is my (not-so) guilty pleasure along with America's Next Top Model. There are some interesting personalities on this season... Check out this insider info on the BTS! Definitely a lighter read amidst these links.

4. How Perfectionism Holds Us Back - Growing up, I really did not at all consider myself a perfectionist. I guess I thought it meant cutting paper in a straight line or hanging a picture frame up perfectly. (Which in case you didn't no is totally not it.) After reading this article, it pretty much solidified that I completely am. Literally all of these 9 ways are me.... Maybe not something to be proud of...

5. Asian Americans Views on their Multiracial Experiences - Coming from a mixed family (Filipina + White in case you didn't know) myself, this video gave me good thoughts to ponder on my cultural identity. Since moving to the U.S., the battle between both sides of me has been somewhat isolating--feeling like no one relates to my unusual upbringing-- and hearing these others' words made me feel a little less alone.

6. Don't Be Ashamed of Your Depression - Sarah shared some wise words on the stigma around mental illnesses whether it be anxiety, depression or something else entirely. As mentioned (see 2), accepting my slight depression (and anxiety) has been difficult for me particularly in the past because I thought that I needed a reason to be, that my feelings weren't valid, that things could be worse. So the vulnerability shared in her own struggles is truly inspiring. Plus the recipe for delicious looking cauliflower tacos is an awesome bonus!!!

I can be a positive person AND have depression--they are not mutually exclusive. 


 Questions:
Have any tips for dealing with overthinking? 
What are your weekend plans?
Do you have any TV guilty pleasures?


You Might Also Like

0 comments