Week in Review: Embracing the Banal

September 18, 2017

Hi there,

First of all, sharing what I came across on campus for National Suicide Prevention Week because you can never hear this one too much:


My week felt very forced and uninspired, not necessarily stressful but dragging, lacking purpose, an end in sight. I was going back and forth on writing this week's Week in Review because I felt I didn't have anything new to write. For me, this speaks to overall stagnation in my life at the moment. I mean, if nothing new is happening around me, what does that say about me? I don't feel like I'm growing, like I'm not going anywhere in my life. And I don't like it.


But upon contemplating this further, I guess this is exactly when I need to be listing these accomplishments the most. So this is me attempting to embrace the banal in my week and accept where I am in my life right now.
  • Did laundry, ran the dishwasher, cooked and cleaned
  • Somewhere in there, I made more cookies for another potluck
  • Volunteered at the community garden on Saturday then the animal shelter on Sunday
  • Cried and cried and cried at my therapist, dietician and dietician appointments respectively
  • Went over to a local park about a 10ish minute walk from my apartment with packed snack and kombucha (...which then spilled all over my newly washed lunch box but managed to salvage and enjoy what was left in the container) 
  • Finished The Group, this month's book for book club, while soaking up the sunshine at said park. Also managed to fit in some swinging at the playground. Aaahhh, take me back to childhood please 
  • Roasted the rainbow aka all the veggies ever (sweet potatoes, brussels, green beans and okra to be exact)
I've never met a roasted veggie I didn't like
  • Finish another page of my adult coloring book. Yay for more childlike self-care.! 
  • Reached out and invited friends to watch The Baby Driver. Funny movie but too much cars, guns and blood for this girl. 
  • Enjoyed some Indian food with my aunt after a bike ride together around the neighborhood pond 
  • Began watching the last season of Orphan Black. It never ceases to amaze me the talent of Tatiana Maslany (on a side note, does anyone else watch this show because I need to talk to someone about what's going on!!!!) 
  • Attended the book club meeting and ate some Thai food with my former coworkers last night
  • Had a coupon for a free smoothie so free smoothie in the 90 degree Texas Fall weather it is. I chose the pumpkin spiced protein one, which is my way of jumping on the pumpkin bandwagon (Who needs PSLs?!) though if you ask me it's still too early for the pumpkin craze  


Questions:
Action movies: yay or nay?
What is your current frustration?
How have you embraced your inner child lately--like my coloring or playground going? 
Do you think it's pumpkin season yet? 


You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Way to embrace the banal, which to me looks pretty awesome. I'd love a park swing (typically I'm pushing Ave on hers), a cozy sun patch and kombucha. Also, give me all the Indian and Thai food please. You don't always have to be changing to be evolving. Sometimes embracing the banal is challenge enough.

    Happy Monday and thanks for linking up.

    P.S. Way too soon for pumpkin but I'm a pumpkin hater so don't listen to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reinforcement 😊
      GASP a pumpkin hater?!! Didn't know those types of people were still out there. 😉

      Delete
  2. Oh man... Orphan Black!! I never watched it when it had just started and was all the hype (I'm always behind), but I just began it a month or so ago and I am BINGING. I'm only on season three so can't discuss anything current, but I am plowing through it like a demon. I looovvve when I get really into a show and want to watch it (cough multiple episodes cough) each night. Love that you are watching it too!

    Okay, but back to the more serious stuff. This is a phase in life, my dear. We all go through phases where things feel blazah, and then before we know it we are stressed and in a phase where everything feels like it is flying miles a minute. I know this is a hard phase though - coming from a fellow "free time is hard" lady - so I really think it's good that you are taking the time (through this link up) to appreciate the things in your life right now and all you are doing. I mean, you volunteer at a community garden AND an animal shelter!? I've always wanted to do either of these - but never have! You always belong to a book club, and have time for things like bike rides with your aunt. I think these things are all so cool. I personally wish I had more time to do these things.

    I think *you* are pretty darn cool, too. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just finished the most recent and final season and it was great!!! So glad you are watching it. I have to remind myself that all the clones aren't really different people.

      Awww, thank you Cora. I nearly teared up because of what you said. Must remember that the little things albeit simple do add up. You are pretty awesome yourself my dear friend.

      Delete