Week in Review: An Attitude of Gratitude

June 19, 2017



As of late, I haven't been feeling like "my best self," whoever that really is. Last week was full of mess-ups, tiny mistakes that made me frustrated with myself. For example... 

Failing at sprouting beans.
Overcooking my breakfast and having hard eggs instead of runny yolks.
Forgetting to pick up my prescription at Costco when I purposely went over there for gas + prescription.
Dropping frozen blueberries at work.
Learning that my weight restoration isn't where it's supposed to be and that I'll have to expend more time and money for an outpatient dietitian while mine is on maternity leave.


As usual, my expectations for how I should think and act, how life should unfold, how other people should be feeling and reacting, got the better of me. My mistakes no matter the size do not define me. So here's to trying to maintain perspective in spite of it all, here's to looking at the bright side and noticing the blessings I do have in my life, mistakes included. Consequently, in this Monday's review, I'll be listing my accomplishments in the form of the things I am thankful for:

Hariy potato cat

Grateful for my sister who today has officially tolerated my annoying habits for two complete decades. (Happy 20th birthday, sissy!!!! You know I love you oh so very much.) 

Grateful for family time. For said birthday celebration, my cousins came down from Austin and we spent the weekend enjoying one another's company in our favorite way: playing a bunch of board/card games! The main two were Exploding Kittens (don't worry you're trying to save them not kill 'em) and Machi Koro.

Grateful for musicals. Watched the next show in our line-up, Something Rotten! Essentially it's a fictional musical about the first musical set in the Shakespeare era. If you are a theater fan, definitely listen to their because they make references to lots of well-known plays. And if you aren't, give ie a listen because it's just too fun. 

Grateful for my job, school and overall busy schedule right now. Worked another three shifts this week, took my first tests in two different classes, had one dietitian meeting and two therapy sessions and went to IOP treatment for a full week.

Salmon and polenta yum

Grateful for the summer sun. More specifically for the fact that the sun stays out until past 9 in the evening, which makes walking back from early releases of my late evening class even lovelier. AND it allows me to take shots of my dinner with the natural light still pouring through the window. 

Grateful for the ability to drive and my car. It's hard to imagine that I've only had my car for just over a year because I can't imagine how I'd manage without it now especially in this state. Drove all the way and out of my way to downtown Dallas to use up a Groupon I had purchased before it expired on the 17th. The gelato was 100% worth it. Also definitely grateful for Groupons.

Grateful for my friends who never fail to make me smile. After waking up to a much needed and appreciated email from a long-time family friends who is also one of my best friends, my sister and I then video-called her and her brother. So much love for our little group. 

Friends using you as a mirror for eyeliner

Of course grateful for the time, money and space to make delicious food like these carrot cake raw bites.

Grateful for my body Attended a vinyasa class with my cousin Friday night. More intense and sweat-inducing than we both anticipated but glad we were able to do it together. 

Grateful for my body part 2. "Hiked," or as close to hiking one can get within the outer suburbia of Dallas AKA walking along a trail, yesterday morning with the family. Really, really loving getting outdoors this way even with the terror of wasps, poison ivy, snakes and very large spiders. Semi-but-not-really related, also feeling thankful for large, fairly clean porta potties. 

Last but definitely not the least: Grateful for being grateful. 

Questions:
Three things you are thankful for! 
Do you have a favorite musical? 
What ways are you enjoying moving your body?







You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I love a good gratitude list, especially when you're feeling down or struggling with stuff. It's good you've gotten so much family and friend time too. It always helps to have your support system close by. And remember, progress is always progress regardless of where you're at in the spectrum.

    Happy Monday and thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baby steps are still steps. ☺️
      Thanks, Meghan!

      Delete