Must-Reads of the Week (5)

January 30, 2016


It's been at least a solid ten days have passed since I last posted. If you ask me how I've been, I will say "contemplative." That's the best way to describe this ever-thinking state of mind, whatever the hell the world actually means. Quite truthfully, this is both a good and bad thing. One the one hand, I'm really starting to explore the emotional side of recovery more. What are my food thoughts actually trying to cover up? What am I afraid of? What is holding me back from taking the next step in recovery? But alongside this, I really have to sit with my thoughts, causing my moods to go out of whack (shout out to those who put up with my mood swings this week srsly #muchlove).

1. Another Buzzfeed Throwback for all you 00s kids like me out there! There's no better way to start the day than with some tunes from That's so Raven, Hannah Montana, Suite Life, etc. Don't deny that you don't know all the words to the Funky Hat song too!

2. Max Ehrman's poem, Desiderata = my new guide to life and favorite poem

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.

3. A little weekly dose of mindfulness for y'all. I am a victim of this busyness mentality. I have to constantly remind myself that busyness is a choice. I have the power to slow things down. Time is not as limited as it seems, or rather the things I view as urgent are not as significant in the grand scheme of life. Catch yourself when you are speeding up and fill your plate with more fulfilling things that you don't feel like you have to speed through.

4. This describes me all too well. The NYT article explains the extreme opposite of procrastination is pre-crastination, this crazy need to get things done right away, to check a box of a never-ending to-do list. Why has procrastination taken on such a bad reputation in today's society when in reality, a little procrastinating can actually spur creativity? Time for some self-discipline in the other direction...

5. Recovery Warriors' Podcasts have been the soundtrack to my lunch breaks on campus. Especially loved the one with Birdie McNeil where she talked about her take on wellness and health. Note to self: Don't strive for health at the cost of your wellness.

P.S. I'm really starting to dig whole this podcast thing. Please let me know below if you've got any good ones to share!!

Questions:
What songs do you remember from your childhood TV shows?
What's your favorite poem? 
Anyone else a pre-crastinator like I am?

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I LOVE podcasts! I actually just compiled a list of my favorite podcasts that is going to go up sometime this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?! PLEASE&THANK YOU. I'll keep my eyes peeled for that!

      Delete